Carole's prompt for this week's 10 on Tuesday is very appropriate - 10 Ways to Beat the Heat. I think that is the biggest topic of conversation around here - as we are headed into day 5 or so of 90+ degree weather with more this coming week. and since I HATE heat and humidity I always have some ways to beat it.
- Saturday morning we beat the heat by being up early and getting on the water by 7:30 am. It was already nearly 80 degrees but the water felt great - trailing out feet helped. And no one else was around - we only saw one other kayaker. When we got off the water it was 91...
- Staying indoors - our house does not have central air but we have been using our window units way more than normal. Even for sleeping and I hate sleeping with the AC. I also hate being indoors so much...
- Eating lighter. When it is this hot we tend to eat lighter - more salads and fruits, less carbs. Also less using the oven and stove which keeps the kitchen cooler.
- Go swimming - while this isn't something I typically do this weather may push me to a pool.
- Dress in more lightweight clothes. I find myself wearing dresses in the summer - and sleeveless ones at that. They are much cooler and easier to wear. Plus most of them do not require ironing - just wash and hang.
- I've stopped using a hairdryer. Granted this also came from letting my hair grow a bit and stop fighting my curls. I wash, add some product, let dry and "fluff". Helps so much in the mornings when I would get hot again drying my hair after just having a shower.
- Drinks lots of water - and iced tea and coffee.
- Use fans in the house and my office. Sometimes you just need to get the air circulating to feel a bit cooler.
- Head north. That is our plan for vacation next week. Long range forecast shows daytime temps in the mid to high 70's and nighttime around 60 - my kind of weather!